This is a historic Warren deck truss bridge over the Bow River near the former town of Ronalane in Cypress County, Alberta. The old bridge was built for the Southern Alberta Land Company as part of a large irrigation project. The bridge was designed to support a siphon carrying water as well as a highway. It was damaged and rebuilt in the 1950s. The irrigation project began in 1912, but was never completed and abandoned in 1914. The trusses are composed of rolled members, which suggests the trusses date to the 1950s rebuild. As for the canal, to the west of this bridge the canal that would have led to this bridge still is used and has water in it. East of the bridge it is clear a canal was dug, but as it is unused it is dry.
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2022, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.