This bridge is a rare example of a Whipple truss bridge in Iowa. With a large lattice portal bracing and attractive built-up beams, this is a beautiful bridge that also has significant technological significance. In addition, it is historically significant as the last remaining remnant of the long lost town of West Auburn. The bridge retains good historic integrity. The bridge is seated on caissons, also known as lally columns.
This bridge has been bypassed by a new bridge and left standing for its historic an aesthetic value. Either from removed approach spans or washed out dirt, the bridge has a drop off at the west end, and is only approachable from the east. Iowa's practice of abandoning historic bridges next to their replacement is an excellent one, since it retains the historic bridge, even if preservation money for a full restoration or relocation and reuse is not possible at the current time. The good news is, in its current state, the bridge can continue to exist as an abandoned historic landmark, or if money and interest developed it could be restored in place or in a new location to serve a functional purpose. Leaving a bridge standing keeps the history and possibilities alive, while also preventing the pointless spending of taxpayer dollars on the cost of demolition. Some states like Pennsylvania refuse to leave historic bridges standing next to replacements, and insist on wasting taxpayer dollars on the demolition of historic bridges that are not in the way of their replacement bridge. Iowa proves that it is possible to leave these bridges standing, and puts states like Pennsylvania to shame.
Information and Findings From Iowa's Historic Bridge Inventory
Discussion of Bridge
In June 1880 the Fayette County Board of Supervisors
advertised for a contractor to build the stone substructure for a bridge
over the Turkey River in Auburn Township. The structure was called the
West Auburn Bridge to differentiate it from another township structure
in the area. In September the county solicited proposals for the
bridge's superstructure, awarding a contract to design, fabricate and
erect the 165-foot all-iron span to Minneapolis engineer Horace E.
Horton. Horton completed the West Auburn Bridge in 1881 for a total cost
of $7,598.79. Since that time the structure has functioned in place, in
essentially unaltered condition.
Bridge Considered Historic By Survey: Yes
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2022, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.