This is among the oldest surviving highway swing bridges in the country. It was built by the Smith Bridge Company in 1886 at Esplanade Avenue and moved to its current location by the Penn Bridge Company of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania in 1909, replacing a footbridge at this location. It has been repaired in 1936, 1961, and converted for pedestrian use only in 1989. The most recent rehabilitation was completed in 2019. The bridge portal bracing and center sway bracing has an unusual notch in the center, that may not be original to the bridge. This notch may be related to the fact that the bridge served streetcar traffic starting in 1897, with the notches being for an overhead catenary system.
Original / Full Size Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery offers photos in the highest available resolution and file size in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer
Mobile Optimized Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery features data-friendly, fast-loading photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer