This tiny bridge is among the oldest steel stringer bridges in Pennsylvania. With stone abutments, it conveys county engineer Nathan Rambo's interest in using stone in bridge construction. The bridge is also noted for its jack-arch deck.
Information and Findings From Pennsylvania's Historic Bridge Inventory
Discussion of Bridge
The single-span, 28'-long, steel stringer bridge, built in 1913, has a concrete jack arch deck, pipe railings, stone abutments, and stone wingwalls surmounted by parapets. It is among the 15 earliest examples of the steel stringer with jack arch deck type and design from 1905 to 1913, identified in the state, and the earliest identified, prototypical example in Chester County, where it was popular with County Engineer Nathan R. Rambo during the mid 1910s. It has typical construction details of the early 20th century and reflects national thinking about bridge technology and design applied in the local context. Furthermore, the bridge is located in and benefits from an undisturbed rural setting in the NR-listed Paradise Valley HD. The setting has changed little since the time of the bridge's construction. The bridge was not rated in the 1992 nomination. Although postdating the district's 1700-1900 period of significance, the 1913 bridge is individually significant, and thus is evaluated contributing as per National Register guidelines.
Discussion of Surrounding Area
The bridge carries a 2-lane road over a stream in a rural setting of scattered residences and farms. The bridge is entirely within the boundaries of the Paradise Valley Historic District (NR-listed 12/24/92), an approximately 3-mile long rural historic district running north-tosouth parallel to Valley Creek. It is historically noteworthy as an area of relatively undisturbed farmsteads with an 18th to 19th-century period of significance. At the west end of the bridge is a T-shaped intersection with Valley Creek Road. Opposite the T-intersection is an iron gate with stone gateposts that serves as an entry to the Children's Country Week Association farm. At the southeast quadrant is a fish hatchery, and approximately 300' to the northwest on Ravine Road is an early 19th century stone residence.
Bridge Considered Historic By Survey: Yes
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2023, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.