This surviving approach system for a former railroad and highway combination bridge has been preserved as a pedestrian walkway. The surviving spans are rare double-deck, pin-connected Warren truss spans.
This bridge was built in 1893 as a double-deck combination bridge, with railroad traffic on top and highway traffic below. This bridge included a swing truss span built by the Phoenix Bridge Company in 1906. In 1962, a riveted vertical lift span replaced the swing span. In 1993, this lift span was moved and reused at Hannibal, Missouri. The surviving portion of the bridge over the river has been preserved as a pedestrian walkway, which runs on the former lower (highway) deck of the bridge.
Note: Dimensions given are estimates of the surviving portion of the bridge over the river.
Original / Full Size Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery offers photos in the highest available resolution and file size in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer
Mobile Optimized Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery features data-friendly, fast-loading photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer