This is an old and outstanding surviving example of a Whipple truss built by the prolific Wrough Iron Bridge Company.
Information and Findings From DHPA Historic Bridge Survey
Statement of Significance
In December 1885, William E. Lybrook, Deer Creek township trustee, petitioned the commissioners about the need to repair or replace the old bridge over Deer Creek on the north-south road on the line between sections 24 and 19. Lybrook reported that the old bridge was "now broken down and impassable," posing "a great inconvenience to the public." The nature of the old bridge remains undetermined, although it was likely designed and constructed of some form of timber. In March 1886, the commissioners recorded a contract at $2 per cubic yard with Trustee Lybrook for stone to be delivered by 15 June for the Hyman Bridge substructure. In June, the commissioners contracted with Henry Weigand & Son for erecting the stone abutments and wing-walls in "cement mortar" for $1.25 per cubic yard. The commissioners contracted for the superstructure at the same time as the stone work. The Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio, brought in the winning proposal for a "wrought iron bridge" at $2,700. The superstructure was to be 150-feet long (146-ft. clear span) with a 16-foot wide roadway. The double-intersection Pratt (Whipple) through-truss span is divided into panels by intermediate verticals of laced channels riveted to pin-plates. Rectangular girder floor-beams are U-bolted to the lower pins and carry a deck of corrugated steel and asphalt roadway and allow 19-feet of vertical clearance. The trusses are braced with latticed portals and bracing. At least one of the iron sections carries a marking of "Phoenix Iron Co., Philadelphia, Pa." The original cut-stone abutments and wing-walls have been reinforced with concrete. The bridge and roadway were closed to traffic around 1980. Not listed in 2007 Bridge Inspection Report or shown on the accompanying map.
References Butler, Fairman & Seufert, Inc., Bridge Inspection/Reinspection Report: Cass County (Indianapolis, 1973, 1979). Floyd E. Burroughs & Associates, Bridge Reinspection: Cass County (Indianapolis, 2001). USI Consultants, Inc., Bridge Inventory & Appraisal Report: Cass County (Indianapolis, 2007). bridge nameplate. Indiana Historic Sites & Structures Inventory, Cass County: Interim Report (Indianapolis, 1984). Cass County, "Commissioners Record," 14: 26, 76-77; 15: 13, 82, 158-162.
Bridge Considered Historic By Survey: Yes
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2022, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.