This is a relatively large deck truss that sweeps across the Manistee River valley. It features v-lacing on its vertical members. There is a large latticed sway bracing system present on the structure between the truss lines. The bridge is still in use by trains.
Alex Huff reports that this bridge dates to circa 1898 and was originally built for the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad, which was a part of the Pennsylvania Railroad. He also reports that "There are some railroad car parts, wheels and such, visible on the east side of the bridge underwater from wrecks in the early part of the last century."
|A collection of overview and detail photos. This photo gallery contains a combination of Original Size photos and Mobile Optimized photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer|
© Copyright 2003-2018, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.