This traditionally composed truss bridge was built by a
prominent Ohio bridge builder. The bridge was bypassed by a modern bridge at
which time the county agreed to maintain the historic bridge until a new
location to restore the bridge could be found. Unfortunately it seems a new home
has never been found and the bridge remains to this day in place.
Information and Findings From Ohio's Historic Bridge
The bridge is on a by-passed section of highway and
is closed to traffic. It has been bypassed since 1999.
The 1 span, 92'-long, rivet-connected Warren pony
truss bridge has polygonal upper chord and verticals with outriggers.
The members are built-up. It is finished with lattice railings. There
are no distinctive or innovative details.
Summary of Significance
The bridge has been bypassed and closed to traffic.
There have been no significant alterations. It is a complete but later
example of its type/design. It is an eligible bridge from the prior
inventory, but there is nothing that would suggest that it is
historically or technologically significant based on its date of
construction. It is representative of what by 1925 was a standardized
design that is characteristic of the period. The bridge is not
historically or technologically significant.
Warren trusses are
the most common design found in Ohio and the nation. The Ohio Phase 1A
survey (2008) has identified more than 500 examples dating from 1897 to
1961, accounting for well over half of the approximately 800 pre-1961
metal trusses. The Warren design was particularly well suited to rigid
(riveted, and later welded connections), but not as well suited to pin
connections; this helps to explain its popularity in the 20th century
rather than the 19th century, although it is based on a British patent
issued to engineers James Warren and Willoughby Monzani in 1848. In the
U.S., the popularity of the Warren truss coincided with improvements in
pneumatic field riveting equipment starting about 1900. The Warren,
which is based on a series of equilateral triangles, is identified by
its simplicity of design, ease of construction with equal-sized members,
and ability of some diagonals to act in both tensions and compression.
Warren trusses are often stiffened by the addition of verticals; they
can also have polygonal (sloped) upper chords to achieve greatest depth
Warren trusses were a standard design of the Ohio
State Highway Department in the 1910s and 1920s, but they achieved their
greatest popularity with county engineers, who purchased the bridges
from Ohio fabricators such as the Champion Bridge Co. and the Mt. Vernon
Bridge Co. Fewer than 25 surviving rivet-connected Warren trusses date
prior to 1915, and they represent the period when the rivet-connected
design solidified its position as the most popular prefabricated county
A noteworthy change in the technological
development of Warren trusses was the transition from riveted to welded
connections that began in the mid to late 1930s. The development was
based on improvements in arc-welding equipment and the propagation of
welding techniques as a substitute for riveting in many fields of
construction, such as steel-hull ships and steel-frame buildings. While
most of Ohio's remaining truss fabricators went out of business in the
depression of the 1930s, Ohio Bridge Corporation (OBC) of Cambridge grew
its business on the development of a standard weld-connected Warren pony
truss with polygonal upper chords in the years immediately following
WWII. OBC remains in operation and many Ohio counties continue to find
the weld-connected Warren trusses to be a desirable economical
alternative to other bridge types. More than 360 of the 500 Warren
trusses in the study are weld-connected and most are attributable to OBC
from the late 1940s to 1960. It is the early examples of weld-connected
Warren trusses dating from the mid 1930s to mid 1940s that are the
technologically significant examples.