This is a small pony truss, but it is very old with an 1888 construction date. It also retains excellent historic integrity. It utilizes a somewhat modern-looking "guide rail" style railing that is an original detail
unique to Massillon Bridge Company, which built this bridge. A concrete culvert on the east end of this bridge is a non-original addition to this crossing, and does not appear to be included in the National Bridge Inventory stats for the
A mere five years newer than the oldest Massillon Bridge Company pony truss example in Morrow County, and as a pre-1890 bridge, this bridge is a very old surviving metal truss bridge. HistoricBridges.org respectfully
disagrees with the finding of the Historic Bridge Inventory that this bridge is not National Register Eligible. The age of this bridge, combined with its historic integrity make this bridge noteworthy, even in Morrow County which had a
large number of truss bridges remaining in 2012.
Information and Findings From Ohio's Historic Bridge
The bridge carries one lane of a 2 lane road over a stream in a rural area of active farms. The road necks down at the bridge. The road appears to have very low ADTs.
The 1 span, 46'-long, 4-span, pin-connected Pratt pony truss bridge is supported concrete abutments. The truss lines are traditionally composed with built-up compression members and eyebar tension members. The
end panels of the lower chords are rods while the interior panels are stamped eye bars. An overflow span finished with pipe railings has been added.
Maintains integrity but hasn't been painted in decades.
Summary of Significance
The 1888 pin connected Pratt thru truss was fabricated by the Massillon Bridge Co. The company sold many metal truss bridges to the county with the oldest extant example of their work dating to 1883. The bridge
is also one of 24 examples of the important bridge type in Morrow County with the oldest extant example dating to 1876. This later example is not historically or technologically significant.
Massillon Iron Bridge Company is
believed to have been established by Joseph Davenport about 1869 to market his all-iron Howe truss bridges. It was incorporated as the Massillon Bridge Company in 1873. Davenport left the firm in 1875, but it went on to become one
of the several successful and prolific metal truss bridge fabricators in the region selling standard-design, pin-connected bridges to counties throughout the Midwest. In 1903, Toledo interests gained control of the company, and it
was moved to Toledo and restyled the Toledo-Massillon Bridge Company. The business was moved back to Massillon in 1909, and they manufactured ships during World War I. It was acquired by the Fort Pitt Bridge Company of Pittsburgh in
1930 or 1933. The works closed in 1943. There are over 25 Massillon Bridge Co. truss bridges remaining in Ohio (2009) with the largest concentration in Morrow County.
Pratt trusses were undoubtedly the most popular truss
design of the last quarter of the 19th century and continued to be built into the 20th century. The design, which initially was a combination of wood compression and iron tension members, was patented in 1844 by Thomas & Caleb
Pratt. The great advantage of the Pratt over other designs was the relative ease of calculating the distribution of stresses. More significantly, it translated well into an all-metal design in lengths of less than 200'. Prior to
about 1890, a variety of panel point connections (including bolts, cast-iron pieces, and pins), end panel floorbeam connections, and lower chord designs were in widespread use. Many of the connection details were proprietary and
associated with individual builders or companies, and thus earlier examples are generally taken to be technologically significant in showing the evolution of the design. Post-1885 Pratt trusses show a progression toward less
variation in their details such that by 1895 the design was quite formulaic with few significant differences between the designs of various builders. This marked the end of the pin-connected Pratt's technological evolution and, in
fact, it was soon eclipsed in the highway bridge market by more rigid, rivet-connected truss designs, particularly the Warren design, but also the Pratt design as well. In Ohio, there are 185 Pratt trusses dating from ca. 1874 to
1945 with at least 60 dating prior to 1900 (Phase 1A, 2008). The technologically significant unaltered examples of pin-connected Pratt trusses for the most part date prior to 1885 and have documented or attributed builders and dates
of construction and/or significant connection or member details. Post-1895 examples are less technologically significant.
Original / Full Size Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery offers photos in the highest available resolution and file size in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer
Mobile Optimized Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery features data-friendly, fast-loading photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer