This bridge was demolished and replaced 2011-2012!
This bridge is a massive member pony truss that appears to
retain good historic integrity. Its traditional design includes a concrete
deck and lattice railing. The truss web is composed of built-up beams as
follows. Verticals and diagonals: two angles with battens. Top chord/end
post: back-to-back channels with v-lacing and cover plate. Bottom chord: two
pairs of angles with battens. Railing: two angles with one row of lattice.
This bridge was located on a road with an extremely tiny ADT of 35 listed in the National Bridge Inventory.
The truss superstructure was in excellent condition: even the bottom chord, a
typical area of deterioration, was in excellent condition. There was very little
rust on the bridge. Despite this, the county demolished and replaced the bridge.
The county engineer reported to HistoricBridges.org that the reason for
replacement was because of abutment deterioration and because the bridge was too
narrow for farm equipment. The county also noted that they did attempt to offer
the bridge for relocation and reuse, but the county's Bike Trail committee did
not have the funds necessary to place this bridge on one of their trails, and
while the Park District needed a bridge, the length was not long enough.
Information and Findings From Ohio's Historic Bridge
The bridge carries a 2 lane road over a stream in a sparsely developed, rural setting.
The 1 span, 63'-long, rivet-connected Warren pony truss bridge has verticals, all built-up members, and lattice railings.
Summary of Significance
The 1915 Warren pony truss has no distinguishing features. It has riveted connections, typical of Warren trusses from about 1900 to the 1940s when riveted connections began to be phased out in favor of welded
connections. The weld-connected Warren trusses continue to be a popular bridge type/design on county roads in Ohio. The survey has identified more than 500 pre-1961 Warren pony truss bridges, making them the most common truss
type/design surviving in the state. This example is not historically significant for its technology or context. More distinguished examples better represent the significance of the type/design in the development of the state's road
systems. The not eligible recommendation of the prior inventory remains appropriate.
Warren trusses are the most common design found in Ohio and the nation. The Ohio Phase 1A survey (2008) has identified more than 500
examples dating from 1897 to 1961, accounting for well over half of the approximately 800 pre-1961 metal trusses. The Warren design was particularly well suited to rigid (riveted, and later welded connections), but not as well
suited to pin connections; this helps to explain its popularity in the 20th century rather than the 19th century, although it is based on a British patent issued to engineers James Warren and Willoughby Monzani in 1848. In the U.S.,
the popularity of the Warren truss coincided with improvements in pneumatic field riveting equipment starting about 1900. The Warren, which is based on a series of equilateral triangles, is identified by its simplicity of design,
ease of construction with equal-sized members, and ability of some diagonals to act in both tensions and compression. Warren trusses are often stiffened by the addition of verticals; they can also have polygonal (sloped) upper
chords to achieve greatest depth at midspan.
Warren trusses were a standard design of the Ohio State Highway Department in the 1910s and 1920s, but they achieved their greatest popularity with county engineers, who purchased
the bridges from Ohio fabricators such as the Champion Bridge Co. and the Mt. Vernon Bridge Co. Fewer than 12 surviving rivet-connected Warren trusses date prior to 1910, and they represent the period when the rivet-connected design
solidified its position as the most popular prefabricated county truss design.
A noteworthy change in the technological development of Warren trusses was the transition from riveted to welded connections that began in the
mid to late 1930s. The development was based on improvements in arc-welding equipment and the propagation of welding techniques as a substitute for riveting in many fields of construction, such as steel-hull ships and steel-frame
buildings. While most of Ohio's remaining truss fabricators went out of business in the depression of the 1930s, Ohio Bridge Corporation (OBC) of Cambridge grew its business on the development of a standard weld-connected Warren
pony truss with polygonal upper chords in the years immediately following WWII. OBC remains in operation and many Ohio counties continue to find the weld-connected Warren trusses to be a desirable economical alternative to other
bridge types. More than 360 of the 500 Warren trusses in the study are weld-connected and most are attributable to OBC from the late 1940s to 1960. It is the early examples of weld-connected Warren trusses dating from the mid 1930s
to mid 1940s that are the technologically significant examples.
Original / Full Size Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery offers photos in the highest available resolution and file size in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer
Mobile Optimized Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery features data-friendly, fast-loading photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer
Maps and Links: TR-126 Bridge
This historic bridge has been demolished. This map is shown for reference purposes only.