This abandoned bridge is among the finest bridges still standing in Bradford County. As a pin-connected Parker truss, it is a significant structure type. The bridge has been abandoned, and it deserves restoration, perhaps for pedestrian use only. The bridge has been fenced off with distasteful barricades, and is a perfect example of wasted potential, a structure that if restored could truly be a destination for tourists visiting the Endless Mountains region.
Information and Findings From Pennsylvania's Historic Bridge Inventory
Discussion of Bridge
The one span, 156'-long 8-panel, pin connected, Parker thru truss is dated to 1900. The upper chords and end posts are built up box sections, and the interior diagonals and verticals are toe-out channels with lacing. The outside panel diagonals and lower chords are eye bars. The floorbeams are framed into the bottoms of the verticals. Although the bridge represents the era of standardized details, it is a complete and large example of the Parker truss design used for long spans. The design concentrates capacity at the center of the span where stresses are the greatest. The bridge is historically and technologically significant because of its completeness, relative rareness of the truss design, and because it is among the oldest dozen surviving Parker thru truss bridges in the state. 08 3006 0090 0000 built in 1895 has been determined eligible by PHMC.
Discussion of Surrounding Area
The closed bridge carried a 2-lane road over a stream in an area of active farms. It appears to be a bypassed section of US 6, which is now to the east. The new US 220 is beyond the bridge to the west. The setting is not a potential historic district. There are many modern buildings nearby along US 6.
Bridge Considered Historic By Survey: Yes
Information From Skelly and Loy Demolition Mitigation Website
This bridge is a pin connected Parker thru truss bridge. It is a single span, 156' long, 18.4' wide bridge supported on ashlar abutments. The upper chords are built up box sections and the diagonals and lower chords are eye bars. The rolled floorbeams are framed into the bottoms of the verticals and there are pin plates on the verticals for the lower chord connections. This bridge has been determined eligible for listing in the national Register of Historic Places.
|A collection of overview and detail photos. This photo gallery contains a combination of Original Size photos and Mobile Optimized photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer|
This historic bridge has been demolished. This map is shown for reference purposes only.
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
View Bridge Location In:
© Copyright 2003-2021, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.