This bridge was the first bridge to be placed in Calhoun County's Historic Bridge Park. It is a half-hip Pratt pony truss. It is composed of four panels making up a 64 foot bridge. The width of the deck is 14 feet. The bridge was built in 1897 by the Michigan Bridge Company. It features pinned connections, and has v-lacing on the verticals and under the top chord. There are a number of remaining half-hip pony truss bridges left in Michigan, although few are preserved, and most are abandoned. The preservation of this bridge is important because it is a representative example of a once-common type of bridge that is quickly disappearing.
Information and Findings From Michigan Historic Bridge Inventory
The following description credited to Elaine Davis.
Formerly spanning the Rabbit River in Hopkins Township, Allegan
County,Michigan, the bridge is known today as the 133rd Avenue Bridge.
It was built in 1897 by the Michigan Bridge Company of Portland,
Michigan,owned by Samuel S. Ramsey and his son, Claude. In 1993, the
bridge was considered unable to support vehicular traffic and was closed
while the county scheduled the bridge for replacement.
This bridge is tagged with the following special condition(s): Reused
2005 Bridge Photo-Documentation
|A collection of overview and detail photos. This photo gallery contains a combination of Original Size photos and Mobile Optimized photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer|
2014 Bridge Photo-Documentation
Original / Full Size Photos
|A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery offers photos in the highest available resolution and file size in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer|
2014 Bridge Photo-Documentation
Mobile Optimized Photos
|A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery features data-friendly, fast-loading photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer|
The above map shows the current location of the bridge. The bridge originally crossed the Rabbit River on 133rd Avenue, Allegan County, Michigan
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
View Bridge Location In:
© Copyright 2003-2022, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.