This notable pin-connected Camelback bridge was relocated and beautifully preserved for pedestrian use. The bridge's previous location was County Route 850E Over Clifty Creek in Bartholomew County (39.23694, -85.75167)
Above: View of bridge in previous location in 1980. Photo Credit: James Cooper
Information and Findings From DHPA Historic Bridge Survey
Bridge History and Significance
Prior Structure The board of commissioners adopted specifications for the repair of the Howe truss wagon bridge over Clifty Creek at Newbern in September 1904. William McCallie, "the lowest and best" bidder in October, secured a contract for $800 in October. In September 1908, the commissioners ordered specifications for the repair of "the siding and the roof of the wooden bridge across Clifty on the Hartsville Pike." In October, the board let a $190 contract to Boyer, Moore, and Graffy for the specified repairs. Surveyed Structure (c.1910 - ) Possibly fabricated by the Vincennes Bridge Company, this single-span, pin-connected Camelback through truss rests upon concrete-capped cut-stone abutments and wing-walls. Its panels are bounded by verticals of laced channels. Of standard design, the two center section panels have cylindrical eye-bars with turnbuckles reaching outward in each direction from the central pin to counter the double die-forged eye-bars. The side sections of two panels each also angle double die-forged eye-bars from the top pins towards mid-span, although without counters. 18-inch I floor-beams pass through and are bolted to the verticals above the lower chord. The timber deck is bounded by latticed guardrails and allows for 14-feet and 8-inches of vertical clearance. Although of standard pattern, this truss spans an unusual distance for eight panels, and appears to be composed of fairly light and the minimum number of members. Original members appear to be intact. References Prior Structure Bartholomew County, "Commissioners Record," P: 374, 377-378; Q: 371-, 384. Columbus Republican, 15 September 1904: p4 c5. "Commissioners Are in Session," Evening Republican, 3 October 1904: p1 c3. Surveyed Structure AECON, Inc. Bridge Reinspection Study & Report: Bartholomew County (Nashville, 1978, 1981). United Consulting Engineers, Bridge Inventory Report: Bartholomew County (Indianapolis, 2002, 2004). Indiana Historic Sites & Structures Inventory, Bartholomew County: Interim Report (Indianapolis, 1980), 68. Anthony Schoettle, "The bridges of Bartholomew County," The Republic, 11 Sept. 1994, B1.
Bridge Considered Historic By Survey: Yes
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2022, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.