This bridge is an extremely massive and tall deck truss. The bridge was designed by famous bridge engineer Gustav Lindenthal and completed in 1911. The bridge has been incorrectly reported in numerous sources as a cantilever truss built in 1877. The bridge built in 1911 is what is seen today and it is a complete replacement (both superstructure and steel bents) for the bridge built in 1877. The bridge was carefully designed and constructed around the 1877 bridge so that the replacement bridge could occupy the same footprint, but not interrupt rail traffic during construction. The level of the railroad tracks was also raised slightly in the 1911 bridge. This bridge is significant for its association with noted engineer Gustav Lindenthal and for its unusual method of construction. A diagram of the bridge as well as two photos showing the bridge's construction are shown below.
The first attempt to build a bridge at this crossing was made in 1854, when famous suspension bridge engineer John Roebling began the construction of a suspension bridge here. He completed the stone towers, but in 1857 the project was abandoned due to the Panic of 1857. When a different bridge, a cantilever truss bridge, was completed here in 1877, the stone towers remained. Even when the current bridge replaced the 1877 bridge, these towers still remained standing. It was only in 1929 when these towers were demolished so that the railroad line could be redesigned to accommodate a double track configuration.
The first noteworthy modern cantilever bridge in North America, was C. Shaler Smith's Kentucky River Bridge for the Cincinnati Southern Railway built in 1877. This was the world's longest cantilever at the time and was also claimed to be the tallest bridge constructed at the time. It was an unusual structure, and did not have a traditional cantilever design. In both appearance and design, it was essentially a continuous deck truss bridge with hinges, which made the bridge function as a cantilever truss with no suspended span. The design appears to have been chosen mainly to allow for better expansion/contraction of the bridge under load and temperature. This bridge was replaced by the current 1911 bridge.
Original / Full Size Photos
|A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery offers photos in the highest available resolution and file size in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer|
Mobile Optimized Photos
|A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery features data-friendly, fast-loading photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer|
© Copyright 2003-2018, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.