This abandoned bridge is a very rare example of a pin-connected swing truss bridge in Louisiana. The bridge was fasbricated in 1895 and erected on-site at this location in 1900. The bridge was originally built as a railroad bridge. It carried a branch railroad line to serve the nearby sugar refinery. However by the 1950s, rail usage was ended, and the bridge was converted to vehicular use. The bridge was used in this capcity until 2002 when a new bridge was built a considerable distance from this bridge. At that time, the swing bridge was abandoned. The bridge is abandoned in the open position. The bridge is one of the oldest surviving bridges in the state.
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2022, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.