This traditional pin-connected truss bridge was closed to traffic and more recently had its deck burned off by vandals. It now sits in an abandoned state.
The construction date for this bridge is unknown. The 1938 construction date given in the National Bridge Inventory for this bridge is not accurate for this type of bridge. Pin connected truss bridges were not built in the 1930s. The 1938 construction date may suggest that the trusses seen here were moved from another unknown location here in 1938. Or it may refer to when the piers were reconstructed. There are ruins of riveted steel caissons next to this bridge, which itself sits on unusual steel pile bents that could potentially date to 1938.
Jones and Laughlin brands and Illinois brands are visible on the bridge.
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2022, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.