This bridge is one of a number of unusual pony truss bridges built by the Champion Bridge Company in Preble County well after the truss bridge era had come to a close in most of the country. They are noted for their use of modern design such as rolled beams and omission of any built-up beams, while continuing the older, traditional use of rivets for connections. The riveted connections are a contrast to the welded truss bridges that were built in Ohio around the same time as these bridges and continue to be built in the present day. The riveted connections add to the visual qualities of the bridges, compared to the plain-looking welded connections.
The 1950s and 1960s were the final home run of a transition from aesthetic bridge design to "purely functional" bridge design, where the "art" in bridge building came to a close thus ending a tradition of beauty in bridges. As a result, this bridge, with a 1958 construction date, represents the end of this transition. While it still has aesthetic value, mainly in the old-fashioned rivets, it is quite plain, with its rolled i-beams.
The Dixon Road Bridge is one of the shortest of these bridges in Preble County. Champion Bridge Company must have been offering good deals on its bridges to be able to convince a county to erect a truss bridge on a crossing that could have easily been spanned by the steel beams of the day.
Information and Findings From Ohio's Historic Bridge Inventory
Summary of Significance
The one span, 61' long, Warren with pony truss bridge is riveted, and the 1981 ODOT bridge survey indicates it was fabricated for the county in 1958 by the Champion Bridge Company. The truss members are all rolled section and they are connected by rivets at the panel points. The bridge has no distinctive or innovative details, and is basically the same bridge built for decades. The Champion Bridge Company of Wilmington, incorporated in 1878, was among a handful of Ohio's bridge-building companies that survived into the latter part of the 20th century. Extant examples of the company's bridges from the 1940s and 1950s all have the traditional riveted shop and field connections. The firm continued to fabricate and erect steel bridges with most of the work in Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky. Champion reported that it had a reputation among county engineers for its quality work and knowledge of older truss bridges and ways to repair or strengthen them economically, "thus stretching limited county funds."
Bridge Considered Historic By Survey: No
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2023, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.