This bridge was built in 1906. With riveted connections, it is among the oldest surviving rivet-connected truss bridges in Ohio. The bridge is also extremely rare for its early use of the polygonal Warren truss
configuration. The vast majority of polygonal Warren truss highway bridges date to after 1920. The bridge is also noteworthy as a documented example of a truss bridge built by an area firm, Capitol Construction Company of Columbus, Ohio.
Information and Findings From Ohio's Historic Bridge
The bridge carries a 2 lane road over a stream in a rural setting with scattered 20th century residences.
The 1 span, rivet-connected Warren pony truss bridge has polygonal upper chord and verticals. It is traditionally composed of built-up members.
Deck and floorbeam repairs, 1989.
Summary of Significance
The 1906 rivet-connected Warren pony truss is among the early and complete examples of the truss type/design that would dominate county road truss bridge building in Ohio during the 20th century. There has been
no significant change in the bridge's status since the prior inventory. The eligible recommendation remains appropriate. With attrition, it is becoming one of the earliest extant examples of an all riveted Warren pony truss in the
Warren trusses are the most common design found in Ohio and the nation. The Ohio Phase 1A survey (2008) has identified more than 500 examples dating from 1897 to 1961, accounting for well over half of the
approximately 800 pre-1961 metal trusses. The Warren design was particularly well suited to rigid (riveted, and later welded connections), but not as well suited to pin connections; this helps to explain its popularity in the 20th
century rather than the 19th century, although it is based on a British patent issued to engineers James Warren and Willoughby Monzani in 1848. In the U.S., the popularity of the Warren truss coincided with improvements in pneumatic
field riveting equipment starting about 1900. The Warren, which is based on a series of equilateral triangles, is identified by its simplicity of design, ease of construction with equal-sized members, and ability of some diagonals
to act in both tensions and compression. Warren trusses are often stiffened by the addition of verticals; they can also have polygonal (sloped) upper chords to achieve greatest depth at midspan.
Warren trusses were a
standard design of the Ohio State Highway Department in the 1910s and 1920s, but they achieved their greatest popularity with county engineers, who purchased the bridges from Ohio fabricators such as the Champion Bridge Co. and the
Mt. Vernon Bridge Co. Fewer than 12 surviving rivet-connected Warren trusses date prior to 1910, and they represent the period when the rivet-connected design solidified its position as the most popular prefabricated county truss
A noteworthy change in the technological development of Warren trusses was the transition from riveted to welded connections that began in the mid to late 1930s. The development was based on improvements in
arc-welding equipment and the propagation of welding techniques as a substitute for riveting in many fields of construction, such as steel-hull ships and steel-frame buildings. While most of Ohio's remaining truss fabricators went
out of business in the depression of the 1930s, Ohio Bridge Corporation (OBC) of Cambridge grew its business on the development of a standard weld-connected Warren pony truss with polygonal upper chords in the years immediately
following WWII. OBC remains in operation and many Ohio counties continue to find the weld-connected Warren trusses to be a desirable economical alternative to other bridge types. More than 360 of the 500 Warren trusses in the study
are weld-connected and most are attributable to OBC from the late 1940s to 1960. It is the early examples of weld-connected Warren trusses dating from the mid 1930s to mid 1940s that are the technologically significant examples.
Of the over 140 examples built between 1897 and 1960, only 13 predate 1910, which makes early ones not common. This example is will soon be one of the earliest still in use in the state making it uncommon. Since
it is complete and represents a longer design with the polygonal upper chords, it has high significance.