This bridge shares an intimate history with the
Eagle Avenue Viaduct, which was
demolished in 2005 with the exception of the vertical lift span. When the viaduct was
built in 1928, it was built right over this bridge. People crossing the Stones
Levee Bridge would be going under the viaduct, passing in between the steel bent
supports of the viaduct. See the photo gallery for a few photos from ODOT
The Stones Levee Bridge is historically significant as one of
the oldest truss bridges in Cleveland. It is also significant for being an
uncommon highway example of a Baltimore truss configuration. The bridge features
aesthetic qualities as well. The presence of v-lacing on the end posts and top
chord is an uncommon, and welcome feature that adds to the beauty of the truss.
The loss of the viaduct is unfortunate, but it is worth noting
that Stones Levee Bridge is a lot easier to photo now, and is much more
photogenic. However, the Stones Levee Bridge has not been cared for, despite its
historic and aesthetic value. The bridge has no paint, and rust is doing serious
damage. However, the bridge could and should be restored, perhaps for pedestrian
use. The bridge's parts should be sandblasted and cleaned, and worn parts
replaced with replicated period-design parts, and the structure should be
painted. Also, the ugly cyclone fencing on the bridge should be done away with.
Information and Findings From Ohio's Historic Bridge
The bridge carries a 2 lane city street and sidewalks over tracks of the B&O RR in a depressed section in downtown Cleveland. The setting is industrial.
The 1 span, 121'-long, rivet-connected Warren with verticals and subdivided panels thru truss bridge is heavily built with built-up members and cantilevered sidewalks with pipe railings. It has concrete
Summary of Significance
The 1908 rivet-connected Warren pony truss is among the early and complete examples of the truss type/design that would dominate county road truss bridge building in Ohio during the 20th century. There has been
no significant change in the bridge's status since the prior inventory. The eligible recommendation remains appropriate.
Warren trusses are the most common design found in Ohio and the nation. The Ohio Phase 1A survey (2008)
has identified more than 500 examples dating from 1897 to 1961, accounting for well over half of the approximately 800 pre-1961 metal trusses. The Warren design was particularly well suited to rigid (riveted, and later welded
connections), but not as well suited to pin connections; this helps to explain its popularity in the 20th century rather than the 19th century, although it is based on a British patent issued to engineers James Warren and Willoughby
Monzani in 1848. In the U.S., the popularity of the Warren truss coincided with improvements in pneumatic field riveting equipment starting about 1900. The Warren, which is based on a series of equilateral triangles, is identified
by its simplicity of design, ease of construction with equal-sized members, and ability of some diagonals to act in both tensions and compression. Warren trusses are often stiffened by the addition of verticals; they can also have
polygonal (sloped) upper chords to achieve greatest depth at midspan.
Warren trusses were a standard design of the Ohio State Highway Department in the 1910s and 1920s, but they achieved their greatest popularity with county
engineers, who purchased the bridges from Ohio fabricators such as the Champion Bridge Co. and the Mt. Vernon Bridge Co. Fewer than 12 surviving rivet-connected Warren trusses date prior to 1910, and they represent the period when
the rivet-connected design solidified its position as the most popular prefabricated county truss design.
A noteworthy change in the technological development of Warren trusses was the transition from riveted to welded
connections that began in the mid to late 1930s. The development was based on improvements in arc-welding equipment and the propagation of welding techniques as a substitute for riveting in many fields of construction, such as
steel-hull ships and steel-frame buildings. While most of Ohio's remaining truss fabricators went out of business in the depression of the 1930s, Ohio Bridge Corporation (OBC) of Cambridge grew its business on the development of a
standard weld-connected Warren pony truss with polygonal upper chords in the years immediately following WWII. OBC remains in operation and many Ohio counties continue to find the weld-connected Warren trusses to be a desirable
economical alternative to other bridge types. More than 360 of the 500 Warren trusses in the study are weld-connected and most are attributable to OBC from the late 1940s to 1960. It is the early examples of weld-connected Warren
trusses dating from the mid 1930s to mid 1940s that are the technologically significant examples.
The bridge is one of over 40 extant riveted thru truss bridges of all designs built between 1904 and 1959. This example is representative of the population and has moderate significance. There are also many
riveted thru truss bridges servicing the many rail lines in the state.
A collection of overview and detail photos. This photo gallery contains a combination of Original Size photos and Mobile Optimized photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer