This bridge is a very early surviving example of a bridge built by the Pittsburgh Bridge Company, a builder that was prolific in the region. This early example has some unusual details not found in the later bridges the company built. The bottom chord has a fishbelly design where the eyebar in the end panels has a slope to it. The bridge also has an extremely unusual detail in the top chord connections. There is a standard pin inside the top chord to which the diagonal members are connected. However below this pin there is a separate pin connection that appears to connect the vertical member to a gusset plate that is riveted to the top chord. This secondary pin is extremely unusual and this may be one of the only surviving bridges with such an unusual detail. Finally, the bottom chord connections do not use a u-bolt hanger system. Instead, the connections are frames into the floorbeam. This detail was sometimes found in the late pin-connected era, but is very rare in this earlier period. This practice however was standard for the Pittsburgh Bridge Company, and this detail is found in many of their bridges.
Information and Findings From Pennsylvania's Historic Bridge Inventory
Discussion of Bridge
The one span, 109'-long, pin-connected, Pratt thru truss bridge was fabricated in 1885 by the Pittsburgh Bridge Company. The bridge is one of six identified truss bridges (ca. 1870-1924) in Franklin County, and the only Pratt thru truss. The bridge, composed of standard built-up sections, has no significant alterations. It is supported on stone abutments with flared wingwalls. The Pittsburgh Bridge Company, established in 1878, was a successful fabricator and marketer of bridges in the state in the last two decades of the 19th century. The company had an important Franklin County connection in Thomas M. Nelson of Chambersburg, who operated as an agent contractor for the erection of the company's bridges beginning in 1883, and served as the company president from 1896 to 1900. The bridge is historically and technologically significant in the context of late-19th-century metal truss bridges in Franklin County.
Discussion of Surrounding Area
The bridge carries a 1 lane road over a stream in forested setting in a rural area of active farms. To the north of the bridge are cultivated fields and a veterinarian center.
Bridge Considered Historic By Survey: Yes
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2024, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.