This bridge is an early example of a highway truss with riveted connections. The bridge was relocated from an unknown located to this site in 1953. The bridge retains decorative lattice railing. The bridge has unusually large struts and the top chord and end post built-up beams have front-to-front channels which is uncommon.
Information and Findings From Pennsylvania's Historic Bridge Inventory
Discussion of Bridge
The one-span, 105'-long, steel, Pratt thru truss bridge, built ca. 1905, has built-up members, lattice railings, and is supported on stone abutments. The upper chord-diagonal connections have bolts replacing original rivets at the gusset plates, but the lower chord connections are still riveted. U-shaped floorbeam hangers pick up rolled floorbeams and pass over saddles at the lower chord connections. According to county records, the truss bridge was moved to this site from another location in 1953. It is representative of the transition period from 1895 to 1905 when riveted connections replaced pinned connections as the dominant type of metal truss bridge connection. U-shaped floorbeam hangers, a detail most often associated with pin connected bridges, are an important transition detail. Riveted truss bridges with Ushaped floorbeam hangers are not common. Relocation did not result in significant alterations. It is an individually significant example of its type and design. The bridge is evaluated in the 1995 Worth-Jefferis HD nomination as a noncontributing resource based on the fact that it was placed at its present location in 1953, and thus postdates the district's 1707-1943 period of significance. The bridge was not, however, evaluated based on its own individual merits, and in fact is misidentified as a "steel trestle." The nomination also did not note that the bridge is an older structure that was relocated.
Discussion of Surrounding Area
The bridge carries 1 lane of a 2 lane road over a stream in a rural setting with open fields to all four quadrants. The bridge is located in the Worth-Jefferis HD, an 1,800 acre rural historic district that is significant in the areas of exploration, agriculture, and architecture with a period of significance of 1707-1943.
Bridge Considered Historic By Survey: Yes
Original / Full Size Photos
|A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery offers photos in the highest available resolution and file size in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer|
Mobile Optimized Photos
|A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery features data-friendly, fast-loading photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer|
© Copyright 2003-2019, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.