This bridge is the only pin connected through truss highway bridge in the entire county. As such, this bridge should receive a high priority for preservation. The historic bridge inventory's description of this bridge as having "standard details" is a little misleading. While the bridge does not have any unusual truss configuration, and the rolled beams are standard types, the way in which the rolled beams are used to compose built-up beams is unusual on this bridge, something shared with a majority of bridges built by John Denithorne & Son. These unusual details include the use of a two single lattice-style X's formed from lacing bars with battens located in between to form the underside of the end posts and top chord. The lightweight vertical members and portal bracing is also somewhat unusual on this bridge.
Information and Findings From Pennsylvania's Historic Bridge Inventory
Discussion of Bridge
The one-span, 88'-long, pin-connected, wrought-iron, thru truss bridge built in 1887 is supported on stone abutments. The bridge has built-up upper chords and verticals, and eye bar lower chords and diagonals. U-shaped hangers support built-up floorbeams carrying steel stringers and a wood deck. Three-high rail pipe railings are placed to the inside of the truss lines. Flared stone wingwalls with parapets enclose the approach roadways. The bridge has several minor alterations, including plates bolted to the web of the floorbeams for strengthening, and a welded repair to one of the diagonals, but they do not adversely affect the overall integrity of original design. Fabricated by John Denithorne & Son, it is an early and complete example of its type and design. It is the only identified example of a pin connected thru truss highway bridge in Chester County. The bridge is among the oldest examples in the region of the pin-connected Pratt truss bridge design with standard details that were common from the mid 1880s to the early 20th century. It was built by a leading local fabricator of metal truss highway bridges.
Discussion of Surrounding Area
The bridge carries a 2 lane road over a stream in a rural setting with scattered 19th to late- 20th-century residences. The southern quadrants are wooded. At the northwest quadrant is a field and at the northeast quadrant a ca. 1830 stuccoed stone residence and the stone foundation of what appears to have been a mill by evidence of a mill race.
Bridge Considered Historic By Survey: Yes
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2022, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.