This bridge is an attractive example of a pony truss built by a prominent bridge company. The bridge contains five panels.
The plaque is original, but its mount and location on the bridge is not. It would have originally been parallel to and on the middle of the top chord.
It is worth noting that the below HBI discussion claim that over 100 metal truss bridges are in this region is dated and likely incorrect. Metal truss bridges are rapidly decreasing in number, making bridges such as the Granville Center Bridge more rare and worth preserving.
Information and Findings From Pennsylvania's Historic Bridge Inventory
Discussion of Bridge
The one span, 71'-long, pin connected Pratt pony truss bridge built in 1894 is supported on concrete abutments that date to 1966, the year the bridge was rehabilitated and the flooring system with an open grid deck was placed. The rolled floorbeams are still connected with suspenders. The original railings inside the truss lines have been lost, and plate has been welded to the webs of the upper chords and end of the inclined end posts. The bridge has no innovative or distinctive details as it reflects the standardization of details that occurred after 1890. The altered bridge is not historically and technologically significant. It is the early, complete truss bridges and those with distinctive details that are significant in this region that has over 100 metal truss bridges. Groton Bridge Co. was a prolific regional bridge builder.
Discussion of Surrounding Area
The one lane bridge carries a township road over a stream in a rural setting with highly altered, late-19th century houses to the north and south of the bridge. They have replacement siding, windows, and or porch elements.
Bridge Considered Historic By Survey: Yes
Information From Skelly and Loy Demolition Mitigation Website
County Bridge Number 14 is a one span, pin connected Pratt pony truss bridge. It is 71' long and supported on concrete abutments. The bridge was built in 1894 by the Groton Bridge Company, and underwent rehabilitation in 1966. An open grid deck was placed at the time of the rehabilitation. Suspenders connect the rolled floorbeams to the lower panel point pins. The upper chords and inclined end posts are built up box sections, the verticals are back to back angles with lattice webs, and the lower chords and diagonals are eye bars. This bridge has been determined to be not eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2022, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.