This bridge is a six panel pin-connected pony truss bridge. It is historically significant as a bridge built by a local bridge company of which relatively few examples appear to remain. The bridge is traditionally composed except for a single very unusual detail which is the configuration of the top chord. The top chord is typically configured with back-to-back channels with cover plate. However on the bottom of the built-up beam, instead of a continuous series of v-lacing, lattice, or a pattern of battens, the bridge has only two sections of lattice in the center of each panel, spaced apart from each other.
This 1899 bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 under the incorrect assumption that the bridge was built in 1871. If the bridge had been dated at 1899 when the first historic bridge inventory was completed, it is possible PennDOT/PHMC would never have tried nominating the bridge and would have listed it ineligible. Either way, the bridge remains listed today, and even with an 1899 construction date, HistoricBridges.org agrees with the listing of the bridge.
This bridge, like so many historic truss bridges in Pennsylvania was demolished and replaced with a new bridge despite any number of viable preservation solutions. However, there is some good news. As mitigation for demolition, the truss webs were placed upon the modern bridge as decorations, thus retaining a substantial portion of original historic bridge material. This form of demolition mitigation obviously is no substitute for an actual historic bridge preservation solution, however as a form of demolition mitigation, it is far better than PennDOT's usual strategy of destroying all original bridge material, posting an interpretive sign, and using stone formliners on the replacement bridge. Instead, this form of mitigation actually retains a portion of the original historic bridge.
Information and Findings From Pennsylvania's Historic Bridge Inventory
Discussion of Bridge
The 82'-long pin-connected Pratt pony truss was listed in the National Register in 1988. The bridge has significant alterations that were not noted by the previous survey. The pin connections have been welded together, and clamps added. Additional weld-connected diagonal members have been added to the center panels. The previous survey also misdated the bridge to 1871. Chester County records indicate the truss bridge was placed in 1899 by the Schuylkill Bridge Company.
Discussion of Surrounding Area
The bridge carries a 2 lane road and over a stream in Landenberg, a 19th century mill village with modern intrusions and alterations. Landenberg does not have historic district potential.
Bridge Considered Historic By Survey: Yes
This bridge is tagged with the following special condition(s): Trusses Converted To Decorative
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2023, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.