HistoricBridges.org Menu: HistoricBridges.org Menu:


We Recommend:
Bach Steel - Experts at historic truss bridge restoration.

HistoricBridges.org: Bridge Browser

Pont d'aluminium d'Arvida (Arvida Aluminum Bridge)

Pont d'aluminium d'Arvida (Arvida Aluminum Bridge)

Primary Photographer(s): Nathan Holth

Bridge Documented: July 9, 2019

View Photos
and Videos
View Maps
and Links

Facility Carried / Feature Intersected
Route du Pont (Route de la Dam Deux) Over Rivière Saguenay
Location
Saguenay (Jonquière): Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean, Québec: United States
Construction Date and Builder / Engineer
1950 By Builder/Contractor: Dominion Bridge Company of Montréal, Québec and Pic Construction Company and Engineer/Design: Surveyer Nenniger and Chenevert
Rehabilitation Date
Not Available or Not Applicable
Main Span Length
300.0 Feet (91.4 Meters)
Structure Length
504.0 Feet (153.6 Meters)
Roadway Width
Not Available
Spans
1 Main Span(s)
Inventory Number
Not Applicable

Historic Significance Rating (HSR)
View Information About HSR Ratings

Bridge Documentation

This bridge was the first in the world to be built completely of aluminum, and it is also one of the most visually impressive aluminum bridges in the world. The original details of the bridge are of riveted construction. Rehabilitation work however has replaced some of the rivets with bolts.

View Historical Articles About This Bridge

Original Plaque (Removed From Bridge?)

ARVIDA BRIDGE

FIRST ALUMINUM HIGHWAY BRIDGE
IN THE WORLD

BUILT 1950 BY THE
CITY OF ARVIDA

J. LOUIS FAY
MAYOR
ROLAND A. LEMIEUX
MANAGER & ENGINEER

DOMINION BRIDGE COMPANY LIMITED
STRUCTURAL DESIGNERS & FABRICATORS

SURVEYER NENNIGER & CHENEVERT
CONSULTING ENGINEERS

PIC CONSTRUCTION COMPANY LIMITED
GENERAL CONTRACTOR

ALUMINUM
FURNISHED BY
ALUMINUM COMPANY OF CANADA, LIMITED

 

De l'information Répertoire du patrimoine culturel du Québec

Original Text In French

Description

Le pont d'aluminium d'Arvida est un ouvrage de génie civil construit en 1949 et 1950. Ce pont en arc en aluminium se compose d'un tablier supérieur de 153,62 mètres comportant trois travées. La principale, un arc parabolique d'une portée de 91,50 mètres, s'élève à 32,91 mètres au-dessus de l'eau. Le pont d'aluminium d'Arvida enjambe un bras de la rivière Saguenay. Il relie l'ancienne ville d'Arvida à la centrale hydroélectrique Shipshaw II, dans l'arrondissement municipal de Jonquière de la ville de Saguenay.

Ce bien est cité immeuble patrimonial.

Valeur patrimoniale

Le pont d'aluminium d'Arvida présente un intérêt patrimonial pour sa valeur historique liée à son unicité. Ce pont est le premier au monde à être construit entièrement en aluminium. Durant la première moitié du XXe siècle, les ponts québécois et canadiens sont construits soit en bois, en acier ou en béton armé. L'aluminium n'est pas couramment utilisé à cette époque pour la construction de ponts, sauf pour deux courtes traverses : l'une à Massena (État de New York, États-Unis), et l'autre dans le port de Sunderland (Angleterre). Au moment de sa construction en 1949 et 1950, le pont d'Arvida est le premier à être entièrement fait d'aluminium. Les éléments de structure sont fabriqués en atelier et réalisés à partir de divers alliages d'aluminium. Ils sont ensuite assemblés par rivetage, boulons et broches étant aussi en alliages d'aluminium enduits de produits scellant. En raison de sa conception en aluminium, le pont d'Arvida pèse 163 tonnes; un pont similaire en acier en pèserait plus du double. La réalisation du pont d'Arvida constitue un événement important dans l'histoire du génie civil tant au Québec, au Canada, qu'à l'échelle internationale.

Le pont d'aluminium d'Arvida présente aussi un intérêt patrimonial pour sa valeur technologique. Cette structure est un exemple de pont en arc à tablier supérieur. W. L. Pugh et les ingénieurs de la division Aluminium Laboratories de l'Alcan optent pour ce type de pont, car il préserve la beauté naturelle du site. De plus, la présence de roc en surface permet ce genre de structure. Le pont se caractérise par son grand arc reposant sur des points d'appui de part et d'autre de l'obstacle à franchir. Son principe consiste à transférer une partie du poids du tablier vers l'arc, qui le transfère à son tour aux points d'appui. Le pont d'Arvida se compose d'un tablier supérieur de 153,62 mètres comportant trois travées. La principale, l'arc d'une portée de 91,50 mètres, s'élève à 32,91 mètres au-dessus de l'eau. Les poutres caissons sous l'arc sont renforcées par des poutres en treillis. Des poutres longitudinales continues, des poutres transversales et des longerons constituent le tablier du pont. Les garde-fous, faits de barres carrées insérées verticalement entre deux cannelures horizontales, sont conçus pour supporter de plus grandes forces latérales que d'ordinaire. La courbe gracieuse du grand arc, la finesse des poutres d'approche, les garde-fous intégrant les luminaires contribuent à l'intégration de cette structure légère à son environnement.

Le pont d'aluminium d'Arvida présente en outre un intérêt patrimonial pour sa valeur historique découlant de son association avec ses concepteurs et réalisateurs. En effet, plusieurs personnages importants de l'histoire du génie civil et de l'architecture au Canada figurent parmi eux. En 1943, sous la supervision de W. L. Pugh, les ingénieurs de la division Aluminium Laboratories de l'Alcan entreprennent des études préliminaires pour déterminer l'emplacement et le type de pont convenant le mieux. La Ville d'Arvida demande dès le début du projet à Olivier Desjardins, ingénieur en chef du département des travaux publics de la province de Québec, ainsi qu'à l'architecte paysagiste Frederic G. Todd (1876-1948), et à l'architecte Harold Lee Fetherstonhaugh (1887-1971), de se joindre à cette équipe à titre de consultants. En 1946, la compagnie Dominion Bridge, une firme spécialisée dans la fabrication de pont en acier, est invitée à poursuivre le projet. Après des mois d'études et de discussions avec l'Alcan, la Dominion Bridge propose deux projets de pont : l'un en acier, l'autre en aluminium. Malgré l'absence de précédent, c'est le pont en aluminium qui est retenu. La firme Pic Construction de Jonquière entreprend sa construction en août 1949. La firme d'ingénieurs Surveyer, Nenniger et Chenevert de Montréal (maintenant connue sous le nom SNC-Lavalin) est responsable de la supervision des travaux.

Source : Ville de Saguenay, 2007.

Éléments caractéristiques

Les éléments caractéristiques du pont d'aluminium d'Arvida liés à ses valeurs historique et technologique comprennent, notamment :
- sa proximité d'Arvida;
- sa situation au-dessus d'un bras de la rivière Saguenay reliant l'ancienne ville d'Arvida à la centrale hydroélectrique Shipshaw II, dans l'arrondissement municipal de Jonquière de la ville de Saguenay;
- la structure en arc à tablier supérieur, dont le tablier de 153,62 mètres, les trois travées (la travée centrale étant un arc d'une portée de 91,50 mètres s'élevant de 32,91 mètres au-dessus de l'eau);
- ses matériaux, dont les divers alliages d'aluminium (Alcan : 26 S-T pour les plaques et la structure; 16 S-T, pour les rivets; 65 S-T, pour les garde-fous; 2 S pour la couche séparant l'aluminium du béton), le béton du tablier;
- ses divers éléments, dont les poutres d'approche, les poutres caissons renforcées d'entretoisement en treillis, les garde-fous intégrant les luminaires, les parapets ornementaux.

Informations historiques

Arvida voit le jour en 1925. La compagnie américaine Alcoa implante alors une aluminerie à cet endroit, qui offre une puissance hydroélectrique pouvant répondre à cette industrie. L'architecte et urbaniste étasunien Harry H. Brainerd (né en 1887) dessine les plans d'une ville modèle de 50 000 habitants à être érigée à proximité de l'aluminerie. Elle est planifiée dans le but d'attirer et de retenir dans cette « Washington du nord » du personnel qualifié. La nouvelle ville offre de loger autant ses ouvriers que ses employés supérieurs dans des maisons individuelles. La filiale canadienne d'Alcoa, nommée Northern Aluminum Company puis Aluminum Company of Canada (1925), devient une compagnie distincte en 1928. Elle sera plus tard connue sous l'acronyme Alcan.

Dès la fin des années 1920, la possibilité de construire un pont en aluminium à Arvida est envisagée. Il faut cependant attendre 1943 pour que le conseil municipal d'Arvida amorce des pourparlers avec le département de génie général de l'Alcan. W. L. Pugh et les ingénieurs de la division Aluminium Laboratories de l'Alcan réalisent des études préliminaires pour déterminer l'emplacement et le type de pont convenant le mieux. Ils optent pour un pont en arc à tablier supérieur. La Ville d'Arvida demande dès le début du projet à Olivier Desjardins, ingénieur en chef du département des travaux publics de la province de Québec, à l'architecte paysagiste Frederic G. Todd (1876-1948) et à l'architecte Harold Lee Fetherstonhaugh (1887-1971) de se joindre à cette équipe à titre de consultants. En 1946, la compagnie Dominion Bridge est choisie pour concevoir le pont. Après plusieurs mois d'études et de discussions avec l'Alcan, la compagnie propose deux projets : l'un en acier et l'autre en aluminium. Malgré l'absence de précédent, c'est le pont en aluminium qui est retenu. Dominion Bridge entreprend la fabrication du pont en 1948. Les éléments structuraux en aluminium sont conçus par extrusion et ensuite assemblés par rivetage. Pour les réaliser, diverses catégories d'alliages d'aluminium sont utilisées selon les besoins.

L'assemblage de la structure à Arvida est confié à Pic Construction de Jonquière; les travaux commencent en 1949. La firme d'ingénieurs Surveyer, Nenniger et Chenevert de Montréal (maintenant connue sous le nom SNC-Lavalin) supervise la construction. En raison de la légèreté de plusieurs sections, l'arc est installé à l'aide d'un transbordeur aérien et non d'un pont roulant. Certains éléments peuvent même être transportés à bras d'homme. Les garde-fous, les luminaires et les lampadaires sont fabriqués par Lockwell et Forget de Montréal. Le pont est éclairé par des lampes intégrées sous la main courante des garde-fous, tous les quatre balustres.

Le pont d'aluminium d'Arvida est inauguré le dimanche 16 juillet 1950 en présence de plusieurs invités de marque. Le premier ministre du Québec, Maurice L. Duplessis (1890-1959), Ray Edwin Powell (1887-1973), président d'Alcan et Donald Gordon (1901-1969), président de la compagnie ferroviaire Canadien National assistent à l'événement.

En 1971, les pylônes-lampadaires marquant l'entrée du pont sont retirés pour permettre le passage des maisons épargnées lors du glissement de terrain de Saint-Jean-Vianney. Les habitations sont déplacées à Arvida.

Le pont d'aluminium d'Arvida est cité en 2004.

Références

Notices bibliographiques :
FORTIER, Robert, dir. Villes industrielles planifiées. Montréal, Boréal / Centre canadien d'architecture, 1996. 320 p.
MORISSET, Lucie K. Arvida, cité industrielle : une épopée urbaine en Amérique. Québec, Septentrion, 1998. 251 p.
VAILLANCOURT, Josée. Le pont d'Arvida... une première au monde. Jonquière, Ville de Jonquière, 2001. 25 p.

Information Directory of cultural heritage of Quebec

English Translation

Description

The aluminum bridge of Arvida is a civil engineering work built in 1949 and 1950. This aluminum arch bridge consists of an upper deck of 153.62 meters with three spans. The main one, a parabolic arc with a range of 91.50 meters, rises 32.91 meters above the water. The aluminum bridge of Arvida spans an arm of the Saguenay river. It links the ancient city of Arvida to the Shipshaw II hydroelectric power station in the municipal district of Jonquière in the city of Saguenay.

This property is cited as a heritage building.

Heritage value

The aluminum bridge of Arvida is of heritage interest for its historical value linked to its uniqueness. This bridge is the first in the world to be built entirely of aluminum. During the first half of the 20th century, Quebec and Canadian bridges were built either of wood, steel or reinforced concrete. Aluminum was not commonly used at the time for the construction of bridges, except for two short sleepers: one in Massena (New York State, United States), and the other in the port of Sunderland ( England). When it was built in 1949 and 1950, the Arvida bridge was the first to be made entirely of aluminum. The structural elements are manufactured in the workshop and made from various aluminum alloys. They are then assembled by riveting, bolts and pins also being made of aluminum alloys coated with sealant products. Due to its aluminum design, the Arvida bridge weighs 163 tonnes; a similar steel bridge would weigh more than double that. The construction of the Arvida Bridge is an important event in the history of civil engineering both in Quebec, in Canada and internationally.

The aluminum bridge of Arvida is also of heritage interest for its technological value. This structure is an example of an arch bridge with an upper deck. W. L. Pugh and engineers from Alcan's Aluminum Laboratories division opt for this type of bridge because it preserves the natural beauty of the site. In addition, the presence of rock on the surface allows this kind of structure. The bridge is characterized by its large arch resting on support points on either side of the obstacle to be crossed. Its principle consists in transferring part of the weight of the deck to the arch, which in turn transfers it to the support points. The Arvida bridge consists of an upper deck of 153.62 meters with three spans. The main one, the arc with a span of 91.50 meters, rises 32.91 meters above the water. The box girders under the arch are reinforced by lattice girders. Continuous longitudinal beams, transverse beams and beams form the bridge deck. The railings, made of square bars inserted vertically between two horizontal grooves, are designed to withstand greater lateral forces than usual. The graceful curve of the large arch, the delicacy of the approach beams, the railings integrating the luminaires contribute to the integration of this light structure into its environment.

The aluminum bridge of Arvida is also of heritage interest for its historical value arising from its association with its designers and producers. Several important figures in the history of civil engineering and architecture in Canada are among them. In 1943, under the supervision of W. L. Pugh, engineers from Alcan's Aluminum Laboratories division undertook preliminary studies to determine the most suitable location and type of bridge. The City of Arvida asked from the start of the project to Olivier Desjardins, chief engineer of the public works department of the province of Quebec, as well as to the landscape architect Frederic G. Todd (1876-1948), and to the architect Harold Lee Fetherstonhaugh (1887-1971), to join this team as consultants. In 1946, the Dominion Bridge company, a firm specializing in the manufacture of steel bridges, was invited to continue the project. After months of study and discussion with the Alcan, the Dominion Bridge is proposing two bridge projects: one in steel, the other in aluminum. Despite the absence of a precedent, the aluminum bridge is retained. The Pic Construction firm in Jonquière began construction in August 1949. The engineering firm Surveyer, Nenniger and Chenevert of Montreal (now known as SNC-Lavalin) was responsible for supervising the work.

Source: Ville de Saguenay, 2007.
Character-defining elements
The character-defining elements of the Arvida aluminum bridge linked to its historical and technological values ​​include, in particular:
- its proximity to Arvida;
- its location above an arm of the Saguenay river connecting the former city of Arvida to the Shipshaw II hydroelectric plant, in the municipal borough of Jonquière in the city of Saguenay;
- the arch structure with upper deck, including the 153.62-meter deck, the three spans (the central span being an arc with a span of 91.50 meters rising from 32.91 meters above the 'water);
- its materials, including the various aluminum alloys (Alcan: 26 ST for the plates and the structure; 16 ST, for the rivets; 65 ST, for the guardrails; 2 S for the layer separating the aluminum from the concrete ), the concrete of the deck;
- its various elements, including approach beams, box beams reinforced with lattice bracing, railings incorporating light fixtures, ornamental parapets.

Character-defining elements

The character-defining elements of the Arvida aluminum bridge linked to its historical and technological values ​​include, in particular:
- its proximity to Arvida;
- its location above an arm of the Saguenay river connecting the former city of Arvida to the Shipshaw II hydroelectric plant, in the municipal borough of Jonquière in the city of Saguenay;
- the arch structure with upper deck, including the 153.62-meter deck, the three spans (the central span being an arc with a span of 91.50 meters rising from 32.91 meters above the 'water);
- its materials, including the various aluminum alloys (Alcan: 26 ST for the plates and the structure; 16 ST, for the rivets; 65 ST, for the guardrails; 2 S for the layer separating the aluminum from the concrete ), the concrete of the deck;
- its various elements, including approach beams, box beams reinforced with lattice bracing, railings incorporating light fixtures, ornamental parapets.

Historical information

Arvida was founded in 1925. The American company Alcoa then set up an aluminum smelter there, which offers hydroelectric power that can meet this industry. American architect and urban planner Harry H. Brainerd (born in 1887) drew up plans for a model city of 50,000 inhabitants to be erected near the smelter. It is planned with the aim of attracting and retaining qualified personnel in this "Washington of the North". The new city offers to house both its workers and its senior employees in individual houses. The Canadian subsidiary of Alcoa, named Northern Aluminum Company and then Aluminum Company of Canada (1925), became a separate company in 1928. It was later known by the acronym Alcan.

From the end of the 1920s, the possibility of building an aluminum bridge in Arvida was considered. However, it was not until 1943 that the Arvida city council began talks with the Alcan general engineering department. W. L. Pugh and engineers from Alcan's Aluminum Laboratories division are conducting preliminary studies to determine the best location and type of bridge. They opt for an arch bridge with upper deck. The City of Arvida asked from the start of the project to Olivier Desjardins, chief engineer of the public works department of the province of Quebec, to the landscape architect Frederic G. Todd (1876-1948) and to the architect Harold Lee Fetherstonhaugh (1887-1971) to join this team as consultants. In 1946, the Dominion Bridge company was chosen to design the bridge. After several months of studies and discussions with Alcan, the company is proposing two projects: one in steel and the other in aluminum. Despite the absence of a precedent, the aluminum bridge is retained. Dominion Bridge began manufacturing the bridge in 1948. The aluminum structural elements were designed by extrusion and then assembled by riveting. To achieve them, various categories of aluminum alloys are used as required.

The assembly of the structure in Arvida is entrusted to Pic Construction de Jonquière; construction began in 1949. The engineering firm Surveyer, Nenniger and Chenevert of Montreal (now known as SNC-Lavalin) supervised the construction. Due to the lightness of several sections, the bow is installed using an overhead ferry and not an overhead crane. Some items can even be carried by human arm. Railings, light fixtures and floor lamps are manufactured by Lockwell and Forget of Montreal. The deck is lit by lamps integrated under the handrails of the railings, all four balusters.

The aluminum bridge of Arvida was inaugurated on Sunday July 16, 1950 in the presence of several distinguished guests. Premier of Quebec, Maurice L. Duplessis (1890-1959), Ray Edwin Powell (1887-1973), President of Alcan and Donald Gordon (1901-1969), President of Canadian National Railway Attend the event .

In 1971, the lampposts marking the entrance to the bridge were removed to allow the passage of houses spared during the Saint-Jean-Vianney landslide. The dwellings have been moved to Arvida.

The aluminum bridge of Arvida is cited in 2004.

References

Bibliographic records: :
FORTIER, Robert, dir. Villes industrielles planifiées. Montréal, Boréal / Centre canadien d'architecture, 1996. 320 p.
MORISSET, Lucie K. Arvida, cité industrielle : une épopée urbaine en Amérique. Québec, Septentrion, 1998. 251 p.
VAILLANCOURT, Josée. Le pont d'Arvida... une première au monde. Jonquière, Ville de Jonquière, 2001. 25 p.

Divider

Photo Galleries and Videos: Pont d'aluminium d'Arvida (Arvida Aluminum Bridge)

 

View Photo Gallery

Bridge Photo-Documentation

Original / Full Size Photos
A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery offers photos in the highest available resolution and file size in a touch-friendly popup viewer.
Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer

Divider

View Photo Gallery

Bridge Photo-Documentation

Mobile Optimized Photos
A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery features data-friendly, fast-loading photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer.
Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer

Divider

Maps and Links: Pont d'aluminium d'Arvida (Arvida Aluminum Bridge)

Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):

Search For Additional Bridge Listings:

Bridgehunter.com: View listed bridges within 0.5 miles (0.8 kilometers) of this bridge.

Bridgehunter.com: View listed bridges within 10 miles (16 kilometers) of this bridge.

HistoricBridges.org Bridge Browser: View listed bridges within 0.5 miles (0.8 kilometers) of this bridge.

HistoricBridges.org Bridge Browser: View listed bridges within 10 miles (16 kilometers) of this bridge.

2021 National Bridge Inventory: View listed bridges within 0.5 miles (0.8 kilometers) of this bridge.

Additional Maps:

Google Maps

Google Streetview (If Available)

Bing Maps

OpenStreetMap

GeoHack (Additional Links and Coordinates)

Apple Maps (Via DuckDuckGo Search)

Apple Maps (Apple devices only)

MapQuest

HERE We Go Maps

ACME Mapper

Waze Map

Android: Open Location In Your Map or GPS App

Flickr Gallery (Find Nearby Photos)

Wikimedia Commons (Find Nearby Photos)

Directions Via Sygic For Android

Directions Via Sygic For iOS and Android Dolphin Browser

USGS National Map (United States Only)

Historical USGS Topo Maps (United States Only)

Historic Aerials (United States Only)

CalTopo Maps (United States Only)


Divider
 
Home Top

Divider

About - Contact

© Copyright 2003-2022, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.

Admin Login

Divider