This is one of several surviving movable bridges on this heritage canal. The canal closed to commercial traffic in 1968, which is assumed to be when the bridge stopped operating for boats. The bridge has a substantial number of bolted alterations and possible steel replacement, but otherwise retains integrity of design. The bridge was jacked up slightly in 2000 so that pleasure boats can again use the canal without the bridge itself having to open.
Above: Historical photo showing previous 1866 bridge at this location.
Above: Historical photo of bridge.
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2023, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.