Very few pin-connected truss bridges with this many spans survive today in Texas or any state for that matter. The bridge has a complex history. A previous bridge is noted in Coleman County Commissioners Court records which contain a contract for the county's first bridge across the Colorado River near Waldrip, which was awarded in January 1894 to George E. King Bridge Co. of Iowa. This bridge was destroyed in a flood in 1906. A new bridge was not built until 1911. The main span of this 1911 bridge was again destroyed by a flood in 1936. The approach spans survived. To replace the destroyed span, an 1893 pin-connected Pratt through truss was moved from McCullough County to the site to serve as the main span. The approach spans were repaired. Because of its history, this bridge is difficult to describe as having been built in a particular year. Normally, the main span would define the construction date for a bridge (1893), but in this case the largest span is a relocated span that is actually older than the other smaller spans that remained from the 1911 bridge and were not replaced.
Original / Full Size Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery offers photos in the highest available resolution and file size in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer
Mobile Optimized Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery features data-friendly, fast-loading photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer
Full Motion Video
Note: The downloadable high quality version of this video (available on the video page) is well worth the download since it offers excellent 1080 HD detail and is vastly more impressive than the compressed streaming video. Streaming video of the bridge. Also includes a higher quality downloadable video for greater clarity or offline viewing.