This continuous truss bridge was built to handle the internal needs of the Weirton Steel mill complex. It has always been a private bridge for the steel mill. Today very little remains on Browns Island, with the only surviving steel mill structures east of the river. Lengths given are estimates. The bridge is composed of rolled beams only with no v-lacing or lattice. Some sources list a 1942 construction date for this bridge, but this is an error. HistoricAerials clearly shows the bridge as not existing in 1966. A steel mill that bridge serves dates to 1972, and it is assumed the bridge was built around that time.
Original / Full Size Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery offers photos in the highest available resolution and file size in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer
Mobile Optimized Photos A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery features data-friendly, fast-loading photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer