This bridge consists of three Camelback truss spans, one large Pennsylvania through truss span, and one small Pratt truss span. All are through trusses. The bridge first was designed for horse-drawn wagons and electric trains to access the Dawson Coal Company mine located on the east bank. The bridge construction cost was $145,000. Its purpose was for allowing coal to be transported quickly into the heart of the city for industry and home heating. After closure of the Dawson Mine in 1944, the bridge was converted to carry only highway vehicles. At least some of the steel on the bridge was British, sourced from Dorman Long. The bridge is listed on the Edmonton Inventory of Historic Resources and was designated as a Municipal Historic Resource.
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2022, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.