This bridge was a nine panel pin-connected Pratt through truss. It retained one of two builder plaques. It was built by the significant King Bridge Company. Compared to other prolific bridge companies, relatively few examples of the King Bridge Company remain today. Thanks to Pennsylvania, even less remain. As a through truss with excellent historic integrity, it was a significant example of late 19th century bridge construction, and was becoming rarer by the day as other similar structures are being demolished across Pennsylvania and across the structure. A once-common structure type is rapidly becoming rare. Among those bridges, this was a significant example that was more than capable of being restored.
The bridge was rehabilitated or repaired in 1949 and again in 1978.
This bridge is a great example of why Pennsylvania is such a sorry and pathetic place to see these days. Here was such a beautiful, historically intact metal truss bridge with such great potential. A new bridge was built on a new alignment. The historic bridge was not even in the way of its replacement. Yet despite this, the bridge was demolished. In other words, a historic bridge was demolished for absolutely no reason other than to destroy it. The bridge had served vehicular traffic right up until its demolition. Even if not restored and simply abandoned next to its replacement, this historic artifact could have likely stood for decades. However, this process of demolition next to replacement is occurring over and over in Pennsylvania. The problem has been made worse by Governor Rendell who thinks that the only way to deal with bridges is to destroy and replace them, rather than do less expensive repairs. Even more worse is that the 2009 Economic Stimulus bill is being used for the demolition and replacement of historic bridges. This is a deadly combination in a state government that already has a reputation for a rich, diverse collection of historic truss bridges and a strong desire to wipe them all off the face of the earth.
The following news clip was found on this page, discussing the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new slab.
Bridge dedication held
Kantz Hill Bridge at Slabtown in Burnside Township, off of U.S. Route 219, which spans the West Branch of the Susquehanna River, was dedicated Dec. 11. The 172-foot-long bridge was constructed at a cost of $2,010,125. The former bridge was built by King Bridge Co. of Cleveland before 1900 and its sign was donated to the Clearfield County Historical Society.
This historic bridge has been demolished. This map is shown for reference purposes only.
Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Search For Additional Bridge Listings:
© Copyright 2003-2023, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners and users of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.